Thursday 9 July 2015

Le Pont du Gard



I'm sure you've heard of the Pont du Gard and how amazing it is, but you have to be there and see it for yourself first hand in order to understand what everyone is talking about.




My younger self was never one to enjoy historical landmarks all that much, I mean, I liked looking at them and some are breathtaking, and as long as I knew a brief history about them, I was happy; but that's where it ended for me. So one summers day when my mum said that she wanted to go to the Pont du Gard, I couldn't think of anything worse, I mean I was perfectly happy lying in the sun next to the pool, and the thought of dragging myself into some clothes and driving god knows how long to see some bridge made me want to vomit. Somehow, she convinced me to go with her and as it turned out, I was ecstatic that I did because I had a really great day!

When we arrived, the first thing we noticed is obviously the beautiful bridge, but when we looked a little closer, we could see tourists snapping pictures, sunbathing near the water and even swimming in it. So we decided to go up to the top of the bridge and have a look at everything from above.

One of the things I will never forget seeing is a dreadlocked traveller man, tanned and tattooed from head to toe, backflipping off of the bridge into the water, with none other than his labrador following suit. We stood there for a good half hour, watching this guy jump off the bridge again and again, with his dog down below swimming to come and meet him at the bottom before legging it back up to the top with him. Every time "dreadlock dude" would land in the water, he would swim to the bottom, pick up a rock and come soaring back up to fresh air, it was really interesting to watch.

If you're interested in the history behind this extremely popular destination, then you can go to the museum that they have there; you can also sit down and watch a multi-lingual film explaining its history to you.

One other thing that we saw a lot of people doing is canooeing on the river, with the help of an instructor for the beginners. Every time I have visited the Pont du Gard I've seen groups of people laughing and enjoying themselves in the water, trying not to tip over the canoe.

Once you're done soaking up all the history, you can go to the restaurant right by the bridge; it has great food and a ridiculous view that will leave you speechless. Of course if you don't fancy a sit down meal then you can bring a picnic as there are loads of picnic tables next to the water.

Honestly, next time you're in the area, have a look yourself!

Gina.

No comments:

Post a Comment